Thursday, November 25, 2010

Facebook Fraud: You're Not Talking to Your Friend

Just now, I experienced a Twilight Zone moment:


I received a Facebook message from myself ... that I didn't write.


Evidently, a friend of mine figured out how to impersonate people on Facebook -- and it's a lot easier than you would think.


I will use no names.
Do not attempt what I am explaining - it is illegal and immoral.


I will now do what I criticize the News for: explaining exactly to commit a fraud in order to advise the public.

First, he went to "Facebook Settings" and changed his name to my name.
Then, he went to my page and stole my profile picture, making it his own.
From there, he was able to communicate with anyone, including myself, using my name.


He assured me he did not communicate with anyone besides me, and that he did it just so I would be aware that it's simple and anyone can do it. However, he contacted me through several of my friends and - very convincingly, might I add - started a conversation with me before disclosing his true identity again.


Evidently, it's called "Masquerading".
This worries me. This is TOO easy; anyone can do this!


I trust that you, a law-abiding, moral citizen, will not use this information for more than it was offered.




1 comment: